Rob Stuart, a long-time member and leader of the nonprofit technology scene, both here in Philly and nationally, died Wednesday, October 26th. He came to several Net Tuesdays, and spoke at the February 2009 event on Democracy 2.0. He was an amazing and inspiring activist and technologist, as well as just being an incredibly nice man.
After the jump, more about Rob and how we’re responding as a community.
A few remembrances that have been posted on the web:
- Philly.com obituary
- Blog post from Beth Kanter
- Rob’s Facebook Wall, which is public to FB users, and where many who knew him better than I have left notes
As you can see, his loss will be very keenly felt. His obituary states that donations in lieu of flowers are being collected by the Evolve Foundation for the Logan Square Garden Fund, to support a community garden that Rob helped found. I am coordinating a group donation from anyone in the Philly Netsquared Community that would like to contribute. These will be anonymous donations, given collectively from the Net Squared Community.
You can contribute in any of three ways:
(11/2/2011 – I am no longer collecting contributions – see note below if you wish to make a memorial gift directly)
- Come to the November 1 Net Tuesday and bring cash – I will have a collection basket there.
- Paypal the money to me with this button:
(Button removed 11/2/2011, since collection is over.)
- Send the money to me using Venmo. Venmo is a local start-up that offers person-to-person payments, currently with no fees. They have mobile apps, or you can use SMS or their web site. If you’re already on Venmo, just pay me at my username, thomast and let me know it’s for the Rob Stuart memorial collection. If you’re not on Venmo and want to check it out and contribute, use this referral link (I don’t get any money from the referral, but sign-ups are by invite only, so you need a referral to sign up.)
If you’d rather make a donation directly, you can do so. From the obituary: “donations can be sent to benefit a community garden that Mr. Stuart helped found: Logan Square Garden Fund at Evolve Foundation, 1 S. Broad St., Suite 1840, Philadelphia 19107.” The Evolve Foundation does have a Paypal donation page – I suspect (but can’t confirm) that if you put “Rob Stuart memorial gift to Logan Square Garden Fund” in the “Add Special Instructions to the Seller” area on the transaction review page, they’ll get it to the right place.
Thanks for your consideration.