Net Tuesday Facebook Clinic Notes
Notes from the second half of the “Using Facebook for Social Change” event, in which the panelists and audience offered advice in the form of a “clinic” for nonprofits, groups and activists seeking to use Facebook for social change.
• No official presence
• Teachers took initiative to create a group and page
• Wall being co-opted by dating services and non-appropriate material
• Do not have an official page – boss does not want one
• How do you keep the conversation current?
• How can they use it…
? School safety
? Issues like charter schools, legislation, etc
? Help teachers protect themselves
• How do you control the dialogue to address the above issues
• Stop people posting on the wall – need to be an admin for that page
• There is a trademark infringement issue here for these pages that were created not by official representatives – should get in touch with FB and those administrators
• Ask curretn administrators to allow an official representative be an admin
Inspire Children Foundation (Page)
• Mistakenly set up as a local business rather than a non-profit
• Only way to do it is to shut it down and re-create it (see here)
• Is this really a big deal?
? Yes – won’t show up under that when you search
? FB does not allow you to have an account for a non-personal entity
Wagner Free Institute of Science (Page)
• Once sided conversation – just posting events
? How to use for conversation and how to generate fundraising dollars
• Start a blog
• Link to those people coming to lecture on FB (need to start with an “@” then type the name of person or page – need to have a personal connection with the page in order to do this – not enough to just be connected to the page)
• Invite people to the event through the page
• Send updates to fans
• Let those people coming to the events promote it as well – utilize links to the most!
Transformative Language Arts Network (Page)
• Want to increase attendance at conference
• Want to buy FB ads – how much should they spend?
• $9 a day thrown out
• Can set targets by a locale, zip codes, demographics, interests, Etc.
• Want to reach out to men who have interest in this
New Sanctuary Movement
• 200 members of group, have 700 members of e-mail list
• Group should be focused, page should be broad
• Example: Fight the arts tax group that Phila Arts and Culture Alience set up. Good for issue based things – subsidiary of other things
• Redundancy is not a bad thing
• Creating events on a page – you need to invite all of the pages
• Mixed results – can you send it to everyone who are fans? Some say yes it is possible, some say its not – it appears that with the revamping of FB events it is no longer possible to invite all of the fans of a page, just your friends, and it is not possible to message events created through a page.
One City One Voice (Page)
• Use the static FBML application to have a custom landing page
• FB is too complicated
• Contest – want youth to post videos
• Alternative is to use youtube
• Want a link directly to that tab
• What is preventing them from doing it – confused about where to upload it – how to help them?
• May need to show instruction
• Tutorials are out there
• You can link directly to the video tab – has a unique URL
• Need to post to the wall about it every day
• Kids are born knowing how to upload videos
Creative Arts and Aging Network (Page)
• How do you make custom landing page?
• Change in settings
Who has different FB and web page
• The multitude of websites you need to be on
• Promoting a documentary film
• How do you divide your time to promoting on FB, vs website
• Search for interests on FB and send personal messages
• Value to being on FB
• There are ways to connect Joomla and FB
• Also search for groups and pages that are in same non-profit ecosystem
• Treat social media as an online networking event
• Tagging – casino free Philadelphia tagged US Social Forum – showed up on their wall. Need to start with @ and it will allow you to link to other pages/groups/events/people, etc. need to have a connection in order to tag
North Philadelphia Arts and Culture Alliance (Page)
• Can that page tag another page?
• Yes – need to be affiliated with them in some way
• How to unify different organizations under one umbrella?
• Could community page have value here?
• Showcase other orgs posts
• Reposting has value
• Utilizing the “share” function to post items on your page
• For orgs with long names – any way to use an alias – no way to change, but no way to change once its live
News feeds and status updates
· Good feed vs bad feed (live feed vs news feed)
· Click on top news vs most recent – FB uses some type of algorithm to figure this out
· See your posts on your profile
Non-profit Technology Resources (Page)
· Primary presence on Twitter
· Variety of posts for 30 people
· Can post even if you are not an administrator
· Content is king – need to develop your content
· Need to look for other sites out there that do the same thing – need to be personal
· Make yourself an administrator
· Grow fans – encourage people through e-mail and other channels
· Need to focus your message
· Information box needs to be our elevator pitch
· Need to communicate in 4 different languages
· Can’t auto show it in diff places
· Maybe create 4 different pages
· Can you hook into google translate
· Consensus – have four different pages – one in each language
If you don’t know what to do with your FB page, don’t do it.